Thursday, March 24, 2011

Scalo



395 rue Cherrier

L'Île-Bizard, QC H9C 1E8
(514) 696-9955

As usual, I get another restaurant recommendation. If I had a quarter for every time.. I would be able to afford my meals! Every so often there is a recommendation that comes along that stands above the rest. Scalo restaurant, in Ile-Bizard, a very unsuspecting restaurant situated in a small strip mall. The interior is very well decorated, a classy decor yet unpretentious. The owners of the restaurant, Giovanni and Fleur are quick to greet with big smiles. A family run business with a couple who lives for fresh ingredients and good food.

Onto the food... I started off with an unforgettable chestnut soup, so rich, so creamy, I can't say enough. The biggest surprise of the day is, I never ever order soup! Next the Melanzane Torta; a mixture of eggplant, goat cheese, seasoned breadcrumbs, oven baked with a four cheese sauce. Another huge hit, the sauce and the texture is right on point.


For the main course I ordered off menu, of course. A rack of lamb ( on menu), stuffed with foie gras in a maple balsamic glaze. A delicious, tender, fall off the bone rack of lamb and a melting foie gras center. The sauce was once again delicious and complimented the meat perfectly. This dish came with a side of pasta; spaghetti aglio e olio and in english, white wine, garlic and olive oil. The pasta dish that really stood out was the gnocchi, soft, moist and of course cloud like! The seafood pasta cooked in parchment paper and tin foil was a huge hit with my dining partner.



For dessert, a creamy caramel cheesecake. I hesitated before ordering this, usually caramel is so heavy that it drowns out the delicious textures of the cheesecake. Not this one, perfection! A warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream is one that is very hard to go wrong on and of course it was right on.

The one most important question: Would I go back to Scalo? 
I already have! The warmth from the owners, the expertise of the waiters and the cooking skills from chef Giovanni are really what sets this small restaurant apart. This is a great gem and I hope everyone can see that for themselves also.




Food:8.5/10
Atmosphere:8/10
Service:9.5/10
Location:7/10
Price:8/10
Overall:8/10





2 comments:

  1. I went once with my husband last year. Great food and great service. Will go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great restaurant, I do recommend the Rack of lamb and the gnocchi! You can save 20% with the RPC! www.restoprestige.com

    ReplyDelete