Saturday, April 23, 2011

Plaisirs Coupables


1410 Rue Peel
Montreal, H3A-1S8
514-507-5689



To start this off, let's decode the word Plaisirs Coupables; in english that would translate to guilty pleasures and in both languages it works. The slogan, cuisine cochone et gourmande or decadent comfort food works also. Of course the last thing that needs to work is.... the food. Oh boy, it does. This small two floor restaurant looks great on the inside and has quite a lot to offer on the menu. On a somewhat quiet sunday night, I and 5 friends decided to feast upon guilty pleasures. 

I started off with the poutine with truffle oil and foie gras(10) and lets just say that is damn cheap. Pied de Cochon charges 21$ for their poutine. Unfortunately this did not taste like that one. They used foie gras " en torchon" instead of a fresh piece that is pan seared. That would make the whole difference, as the piece began to melt and did not give off any flavour. I would love to see the piece replaced by a pan seared one and the price raised. Next was the poutine(10) with mature cheddar, lardon and dijon mustard. It did little to excite me and I must say that the dijon was way overpowering. The golden onion rings(7) in a parmesan crust were done to perfection with a nice crispy outside and a tender interior. 


The menu is quite extensive, with comfort food favourites, so it is extremely hard to decide what to eat next. " Le Brome" (15) is my kind of burger, a confit de canard topped with a piece of foie gras was possibly the best burger I have ever tasted. The confit de canard patty was just delicious and on this dish, the foie gras en torchon worked, as it melted all over the bun and gave it a buttery delicious flavour. My mouth salivates just thinking of this burger. At this point, I was pretty stuffed and I must announce, with my sadness, that this was the only main I had! A big fatty, heavy juicy burger with a plate of fries, combined with all those appetizers was taking it's toll. 

Although I was stuffed, I could not pass up dessert. I started with the deep fried banana split(7), topped with vanilla ice cream, strawberries and a melting chocolate chip cookie. A decadent pleasure to eat this dish. A rich and moist caramilk brownie(7), topped with fleur de sel, vanilla ice cream, caramel and little pieces of caramilk really hit the spot. A combination of sweet chocolate with the salty caramel was a winner. Please have a look at their dessert menu, 7 items and each looks better then the last.

I truly enjoyed my night at guilty pleasures, for the sole reason that deep down, I am a fat kid. This restaurant is here for the sole purpose, and that is to state the following: " There are a ton of restaurants switching over to healthy, because of the new health trend, but here at Plasirs Coupables, we want you to feel ok about what you eat..." No thats wrong, its more like " We want you to indulge in your hearts primal desires, no holding back, no guilt, just pure pleasure".

Food:7/10
Atmosphere:7.5/10
Service:7.5/10
Location:9/10
Price:10/10
Overall:8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment