Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gibby's Restaurant


298 place d'Youville
Montreal, QC H2Y 2B6
(514) 282-1837

Our magnificent city is definitely known for it's fantastic food, especially our steakhouses. This makes it very difficult to pick a restaurant that delivers top notch results. I have had countless steaks that were not up to par with their prices, especially compared to my own barbecue. That said, Gibby's restaurant, with two locations (one in the Old Port and one in St-Sauveur), has some of the best steaks and lamb out there. The first time I went to Gibby's was about ten years ago, and then I went again last year. I can certainly vouch for the Old Port location as their food, atmosphere and  service are spectacular...well sometimes.

What I mean by this is that I encountered one instance where the service was sub par, something very rare for Gibby's. I had taken my girlfriend there for her birthday, and while she went to the bathroom I ordered her dessert and coffee. Actually, in the end, the waitress took care of the dessert and brought her a tasty cake, but then charged me for both the cake and coffee. I am not cheap at all, and I will never take freebies unless it's due...but for a birthday it is due.

The Old Port building is over two hundred years old and the interior keeps true to its roots and authenticity. A very dark and somber room makes for a wonderfully romantic evening. One thing that I love about this place is the free valet parking that is included, a very appreciated gesture since parking is so hard to find in the Old Port area.

Onto the food: I've had both the Filet Mignon and the Gibby's cut Rib Eye. Both absolutely delicious in every way as their ageing process of the meat and marination is executed to perfection. The best tasting piece of meat that I've enjoyed in Montreal that's for sure. Another fantastic dish is the St-Sauveur rack of lamb (provençale, brushed with mustard and
lightly dusted with herbed garlic breading)...and once again, possibly the best tasting piece of lamb in the city. Of course, I always get the Monte Carlo potatoes (twice baked potatoes) to go with my meat. They are my favorite type of side dish and here they do it well, very well. For dessert, I had the Gibby's chocolate delight (a medley of soft, smooth and crunchy) and the profiteroles. Both were tasty, but nothing special.




There is no need to say much more than their slogan, "THE BEST STEAK IN MONTREAL!" So go ahead, have a date night and enjoy yourself a delicious romantic dinner, and then take your companion for a nice walk by the water. The perfect night!


Food:9/10
Atmosphere:8.5/10
Service:8.5/10
Location:9/10
Price:8.5/10
Overall:8.5/10

2 comments:

  1. Great restaurant overall but I've found the Old Port location to be hit and miss in terms of their steaks. One time I get a perfectly cooked and delicious medium steak while the next time it could come burned on the outside and raw on the inside. At least they usually fix the problems. Service and sides are always great though. I actually like the St. Sauveur location better for the atmosphere. Even above that, I prefer their arch nemesis Moishe's as a restaurant, but not really for their steak (but their shish kebab).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moishe's is quite good also but I wouldn't say better steak...

    Maybe they brought you a Pittsburgh steak(charred outside and rare inside,which I love)

    ReplyDelete