Saturday, April 2, 2011

Garde Manger

408 Saint-François-Xavier,
 Montreal 
 (514) 678-5044

To start this off, I want to congratulate Mr. Hughes for winning the Food Network's
Iron Chef against superstar Bobby Flay! Chuck masterfully beat out Flay in a fierce
battle in kitchen stadium. The least favourite dish of all 5 was the lobster poutine.. Hmm...



It has been a long time coming, my feast I mean at this small yet hip
restaurant. Can I say, I got lost... About 5 times. I walked by 
Garde Manger so many times, because there is no sign outside of it!
This place is packed, reservations are a must, so book early.
Later on throughout the night, the music gets loud and it was old school
style. Great beats and tons of fun to dance and sing along to these
old tunes. I must say, for a very plain, no frills kind of place,
somehow the ambience makes you feel like 
your in the greatest spot in Montreal.







To start off, of course the lobster poutine. Can I say absolutely positively
delicious! The mixture of the gravy and lobster is a match made in heaven.
A cannot be missed dish, even at 21$, I think good value! I still am very
surprised that the judges really disliked this.. Next appetizer was the ricotta 
cream cheese filled ravioli with truffle oil(18). Another hit, but after that 
phenomenal poutine, it fell short. Next a confit de canard with onion rings(16), 
which was divine.



For the main course, I opted to start with the beef short rib, spatzle and a fried
jalapeno(35). Such a tender piece of beef, cooked to perfection with a nice 
spicy kick from the jalapeno. 

Then the magret de canard, foie gras, riopelle and latka (36). 
This dish did nothing to wow me, although it was
good, the foie gras was lost in the dish, full of sauce. 

Onto what I might call the best part of the night, a heart attack in a dish
AKA, deep fried mars bar with vanilla ice cream. The somewhat melted mars bar, 
chocolatey, gooey, carameley flavour was outstanding, of course very heavy,
so the vanilla ice cream balanced it out. The warm and fresh beignets lightly dusted
in powdered sugar were also to die for.


Reservation 6:30, 10:00, time to leave. A long, but wonderful evening ended
on a high note, 3 bottles of Yves Cuilleron(165) later, the whole table was full,
intoxicated and in a great mood. The prices are not cheap, I might even say they float
on the note of overpriced... but when the bill came
( although I jumped a couple feet from my seat), I was glad this night was the way it was.
Great atmosphere, great service, divine food, high prices,
I couldn't help but wonder if I would return. The answer is yes, but let me win the lottery first!


Food:9.5/10
Atmosphere:9.5/10
Service:9/10
Location:9/10
Price:7/10
Overall: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment