Saturday, April 9, 2011

Les Delices Lafrenaie

58A Brunswick Boulevard
Pointe-Claire, H9B2L3
514-542-4242

When news first sprung that a new bakery was opening in the West Island, I couldn't help it, but smile. A smile from ear to ear and a loud grumbling deep inside my stomach. I heard they were going to carry items like; cannolis, zeppole, lobster tails, cakes etc... I was ecstatic, I recently learnt what a zeppole was (Commonly light, deep-fried dough balls about 2 inches (5.1 cm) in diameter, these doughnuts or fritters are usually topped with powdered sugar and may be filled with custardjellycannoli-style pastry cream or a butter-and-honey mixture. Their consistency ranges from light and puffy, to bread or pasta-like)  and I cant stop eating them. Unfortunately most Italian bakeries serve them for a month or less out of the year, before St-Joseph's day. I must eat as many as I can in that one month... I easily had 30 of them that month! Orders ranging from 2 all the way to 72! As you can now tell, I am addicted to pastries, so light and fluffy, with a ricotta cream cheese that makes my heart melt. This was love at first sight...

Four days into Lafrenaies opening, I walked in to find a couple I know purchasing some zeppole and cannolis.  I purchased two different zeppole; one with whipped cream and one with custard. These did not look like my favorite zeppole, from my favorite bakery. To start off the outer dough layer looked harder and not soft and sugary, and the filling did not look as light. I was right, from the looks to the taste, this was one of the worst pastries ever to fatten me up. The custard tasted decent, while the dough had absolutely no flavor at all. Next up the whipped cream, it had no taste and the dough didn't either, I seriously could not stomach the blandness of these two, into the garbage. An indicator of how bad these were going to be should of been the fact that they serve them all year round...Cannoli, please be good. Nope, god awful also.  The shell was hard with a strange bitter taste to it and once again the filling was tasteless. 

On my second return, expecting absolutely nothing, I got an apple strudel and a lobster tail. The apple strudel was at best, decent and the dough was better this time, yet I was wanting more apple flavor. A little bit fake, the taste, if you ask me. The lobster tail was actually quite decent, with a much better whipped cream filling. This one was over filling with cream and that's what I really liked about it. I would actually return for the lobster tail.

I might be harsh on this newly opened bakery, but it is their 3rd bakery; St-leonard and Laval being the other two. Everything is shipped daily from St-Leonard, yet I somehow question the freshness of the items. They are truly known for their cakes but unfortunately i'm not the biggest cake fan, nor do I have an occasion coming up to buy a 40$ one meant for 10 people. Maybe i'll have to binge and see how much cake I can really eat! 

In the end, I am extremely disappointed, and now know to never return for pastries. Maybe one day, I shall return for the cake but I and many others alike agree, that the zeppole and cannoli taste just like dog food.

Overall:4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment