Saturday, April 9, 2011

La Cornetteria

6528, boul Saint-Laurent
Montreal, QC H2S 3C6
(514) 277-8030

Social networking sometimes really grinds my gears;when it comes to useless people getting famous for being horrible( I will not mention HER name), or just for the fact that there are now 1,321,456 ways to communicate with social networking. One thing that I do love about it; learn about great new restaurants, see delicious pictures of food,  save money on food and restaurants etc etc. Almost everything I do online is food related, from restaurant reviews, to posting recipes, to helping people save money on restaurants and the countless more hours I spend on various other food related activities. I found out thanks to Lesley Chesterman, what a zeppola is, and were to get it. As soon as I laid eyes on the delicious looking pastry, I was in love, I had to have it. After over a hundred items ordered from La Cornetteria in less then a month, I knew I had found my place. 



It is a tad far for me to go get pastries every day, so I usually go on a saturday and pick up a larger quantity. Wikipedia describes love as: "Love is an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.[1] In philosophical context, love is a virtue representing all of human kindnesscompassion, and affection. Love is central to many religions, as in the Christian phrase, "God is love" or Agape in the Canonical gospels.[2] Love may also be described as actions towards others (or oneself) based on compassion.[3] Or as actions towards others based on affection", but I can sum it up in plain english, zeppole. This has easily become my favorite dessert and I am extremely saddened by the fact that the month is up.

The zeppole at La Cornetteria can only be described as a light fluffy deep fried dough ball, sugar coated, with a cloud like ricotta cream cheese filling that pleases all the senses. While being calorie dense, this pastry manages to be so light that I could eat half a dozen in a sitting, easy! Oh wait, I have done that!

Next up their "famous" cornetti. With flavours ranging from ricotta cream cheese, pistachio, chocolate  and hazelnut, their are enough flavours for all pallets. I stick with the plain and simple ricotta cream cheese. I do like this dish, but I have to say it doesn't wow me. The filling is delicious, but the outer shell, almost croissant like, is just ok.

Another item that I tried here is the cannolis, once again a delicious filling but the outer shell was too hard for me to truly say love,

I do suggest going to La Cornetteria and trying all these items for yourself, at prices ranging from 2.00-2.50$, this place is a bargain. I also suggest sitting down and having a delicious espresso with one of their grilled sandwiches(7) and then for dessert, have it all! In the end, it is really the zeppole that I adored, and maybe that is why everything else seemed good, but nothing better. I shall return to see how these items stack up without the fierce competition of the Z!

Overall:8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment