Thursday, June 24, 2010

40 Westt Steakhouse

2305 Transcanada Highway
Pointe-Claire, QC H9R 5Z5
(514) 428-9378
It has been over a year that I have not been to this establishment. When it first opened, I was excited, very excited to go to the "Queue de Cheval" of the west Island. The building is gigantic, but beautiful in every way, from the moment you enter the doors, until arriving at the seats and even the bathroom, you can smell the richness. I personally like the feeling of being in this restaurant, let's face it, its stunning to look at and before you sit down, you know it's going to be good... and expensive.
For the appetizer, I always go for the steak tartar, I absolutely love the taste of any type of tartar. To me this is meat at it's best, before it's been "tampered" (cooked) with, it is the truest form to enjoy it. I enjoyed this dish that came served on matchstick french fries, it was good but nothing extraordinary.

Of course for the main course I got a steak, who wouldn't.. Well seafood lover's because they have a great selection of seafood also. I've tried the Delmonico(14 oz rib eye), the Cowboy(20 oz rib steak) and the 24 oz Porterhouse. I enjoyed all three but not to a greater extent then making one on my barbecue. The prices of steaks vary from 40 to 50+$, not cheap but not absolutely terrible figuring they are dry aged for 4+ weeks. An asparagus side dish for 12$ with only a few spears was a complete waste of money. The garlic roasted mashed potatoes are delicious as a side dish and so are the french fries.

For dessert I ALWAYS get the delicious chocolate souffle, an exquisite chocolate cake with a melted center and vanilla ice cream to dunk. This is one of my favorite desserts of all time bar none.

After going to 40 Westt five times, I finally decided, it's enough! This is not worth the money one little bit. Yes it's a fantastic atmosphere and the service is very friendly, but the food is not up to par. I do not recommend eating at this steakhouse, but buying a nice rib eye, marinading it and throwing it on the BBQ and voila! A better piece of steak and for less then 15 bucks.


Food:7.5/10
Atmosphere:9.5/10
Service:9/10
Location:7.5/10
Price:7/10
Overall:8/10

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a big fan of 40 West, I think they make great tasting steaks,.the only problem is that they are a little bit pricey...

    ReplyDelete