Sunday, June 6, 2010

Juni Sushi

156 Avenue Laurier O.
Montreal, Quebec
H2T 2N7
514-276-5864

I don't usually start an article off with a negative point, but this is one that I must address. My reservation was at 7, but only arrived at the restaurant at 7:45PM. I ended up driving around frustrated, furious for 45 minutes looking for a spot to park, at times, I contemplated going somewhere else. As I FINALLY arrived at the restaurant, I asked the waiter if there is a parking lot nearby, his response was "the parking situation here is terrible, even worst then downtown". I'm not sure that this parking situation has affected their business, but it's highly likely that it has. Enough ranting and onto the food!


This small and narrow establishment provides comfort and class all in one. With a nice little setup and an attractive corner bar, my spirits were starting to lift again. I must praise them on such an abundant wine menu with prices so low it boggled my mind. The average prices for wine on the menu were around 45$, started at 25$ and of course they had higher end ones also. We opted for a nice bottle of white(48) that was smooth and fruity.

We started with the shashimi, which consisted of five sashimi specials of the day with five different sauces(18). What a treat this dish was, I have never tasted in Montreal such fresh and delightful seafood. Next came the octopus, which I was told was nicely flavored(14).

As the main course, we chose the "roasted pekin duck breast topped with honey and spices sauce, comes with panfried duck foie gras, almonds, fiddle heads and a balsamic reduction"(35). This was the highlight of the night, the duck breast cooked to perfection, charred on the outside and pink and tender on the inside. The panfried foie gras that came with this dish was one of the best I had ever tried. We all agreed this dish was a winner, my only problem with it, was that the price was a little steep for the portion.

Now, for the phenomenal sushi, Unagi Dynamite(12), B-52(9.50), Funny Maki(12.50) and Gyu Taru Maki(12). These were all presented beautifully and tasted superb, but the standout was the Funny Maki, that we almost ordered again. One difference I noted was that there is no sushi tempura, but as a substitute they use real rice krispies, a nice touch.

In the end, as I suspected, the food did not disappoint, being rated as the top sushi restaurant in Montreal. Do I agree with that statement, no, but it is not far off. My only disappointment about this restaurant is the lack of parking, but in the end whats 45 minutes sitting idly in the car when the end result is so great.

P.S. I think it's time to change the prices on your website, they are almost all more expensive then stated!

Food:9.5/10
Atmosphere:9/10
Service:8.5/10
Location:7.5/10
Price:8/10
Overall:8.5/10

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I was the one driving around frustrated. I now know Laurier street bettter than anywhere else.
    Oh and thanks for being a great passenger, and wine/cheese and finding a great dinner spot! Definitely down for this once a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be good in the car lol. but I had to get out and let K ris drive. Hes a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete