Monday, June 28, 2010

Confusion Restaurant

1637 Rue Saint Denis
Montreal, QC H2X 3K3
(514) 288-2225
 I was recommended this tapas restaurant by a friend a few weeks ago. After being told countless times how great it was, I finally made a reservation to go on a Friday at 8 PM. As I walked in on the main floor, I noticed that the restaurant was empty and I even thought of leaving... A waiter asked us if we had reservations and walked us to the basement where at least a few tables were taken. Let me just say... this place is different, very different. From the fact that there are swings to sit on and that the table faces the wall (with a huge mirror hanging too), this was definitely a completely different atmosphere from what I was used to. Watching myself eat all meal isn't the prettiest thing, so I opted for a side seat. As the night progressed it got busier and busier...Thank god because I HATE empty restaurants.

I was first served by a waiter, who was very polite and did a great job, until he was later replaced by a snobbish french Quebecois who did little to help the night. After placing different orders, I saw tables which arrived much later than us receiving bread and getting the ROYAL treatment, while we awaited bread and water. The soup of the day finally arrived, a mushroom soup(5) that lacked a little bit of flavor and that was a tad too sweet, but still decent. After this dish, the bread arrived (about time), a nice baguette with olive oil. A 30 G. foie gras torchon(14) was the second dish to arrive, a boring piece of torchon on a slice of fig bread. It was tasty but you could taste that nothing was done to the foie gras. And now for something good, a goat cheese crumble with tomatoes and rosemary(10), which went very well with the baguette. A great glass of red wine(12.25) helped relaxed me during this meal.

A well done salmon tartar(12) with wasabi and avocado- although it didn't mix quite properly it was still OK. An average duck Rossini slider topped with foie gras was on the bland side. The burger was missing onions, tomatoes, lettuce something to give it some extra flavor. The same thing happened with the 3 lamb mini sliders(14), but on top of that they were way overcooked. Not juicy, not tender, not anything appetizing. I let the waiter know what I thought of this burger, and he let me know that it was on the hous...Thank you- one good thing about this restaurant at least. For dessert, I ordered a spicy chocolate fondant(10) with a salty ice cream. Alone each item tasted strange but together they worked quite well.
In the end my experience here was mediocre: the waiter wasn't too great, the food wasn't amazing, but the presentation was good and the unique atmosphere added some positive credit. Would I recommend this to anyone? Maybe...To someone only looking for a new place and who really doesn't have any desire for some flavourful food. I've decided for next week, I need to go somewhere good to make up for this, VERY GOOD!

Food: 6.5/10
Atmosphere:8.5/10
Service:6/10
Location:8/10
Price:9/10
Overall:7.5/10









2 comments:

  1. Sweet review!

    Need to go somewhere to make it up?

    Wild willy's..
    THEN
    PDC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, well few options for this weekends... maybe a Mongolian place or T!, F Bar.. so many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete